Friday, September 16, 2011

What is causing a clear film on the surface of my fish tank?

I have had the 2.5 gallon tank with one fish in it for one year. A couple days ago I noticed a very thin, clear film on the top. When I touch it, it doesn't feel like anything at all - but I know it is there because it is catching air bubbles and the water is not circulating at the surface. I did a partial water change two days ago - and the clear film is back today. What's going on?|||That is normally due to excess of food. Fish food normally carries oil. The oil builds up if the food has time to dissolve in your water.





A quick way to remove this film, is to put a paper towel on top of your water for a fraction of second to soak the oil. Do it about 3 times, or until nothing is visible.





For prevention, just feed less, and crumble your food less.


I used to have that in my 30-gallon, until i started to feed a lot less.





:)|||the film is probably a sign of over feeding. only feed little bits at a time then see if they eat it all. if they do then give a little more until they are done. then use your net to remove extra..

No comments:

Post a Comment